This guide will instruct you on how to get started using the Conversation API.
Before you can start sending messages, you need to complete some basic configuration steps:
Sign up for the Sinch Customer Dashboard: Using Conversation API starts with the Sinch Customer Dashboard - sign up for a free account.
Click here to learn how to sign up.
If you already have an account, skip this step.
Access Conversation API: Log in to the customer dashboard and select Conversation API from the left menu. Review the terms and conditions, select the I agree to the terms and conditions check box, and click GET ACCESS to proceed.
When you sign up for a Customer Dashboard account, a default project is created for you. Conversation API uses this project to group contacts and apps together. Contacts are shared across apps within the same project. Depending on your needs, you may need to create additional projects to keep contact lists separate.
Next, you need to create and configure a Conversation API app.
To create and configure an app using the Conversation API, complete the following steps:
Create a Conversation API app: Conversation API uses apps to send and receive messages. You can create an app using the API.
Configure and prioritize your channels: To send and receive messages, you must add and configure channels on your app. You need at least one channel configured.
Messages are sent on the channels based on the priority preference you set. If there is no preference set, the API will order the priority based on the following criteria:
- If a conversation with the contact exists: Conversation API tries the active channel of the conversation first.
- Then, any existing channels for the contact, ordered by contact channel preferences (if given).
- Lastly, the existing channels for the contact are ordered by the app priority.
- For SMS and other channels where a number is necessary, you will need a number. If you don't already have a number, click here to learn how you can easily purchase a number from Sinch.
- Some channels require channel-specific configurations. Read about the requirements for all the channels here.
- When you create an app using the API, you can add channels and configure their priority all in one request.
Now you're ready to get started sending messages with Conversation API. Go straight to our API reference guide to get all the details of how to send messages.
Or, if you'd rather see a complete solution first, these guides will walk you through setting up a simple application in the following languages: