This guide shows how to get started using the Conversation API.
Before you can start sending messages, you need to complete some basic configuration steps:
Sign up for an account on the Sinch Customer Dashboard: Before you can use the Conversation API, you need to sign up for a free Sinch account. This is a quick process where you submit some basic details, including a mobile number you can then use for testing - sign up for a free account.
Click here to learn how to sign up.
If you already have an account, skip this step.
Access Conversation API: Log in to the customer dashboard and select Conversation API from the left menu. Review the terms and conditions, select the I agree to the terms and conditions check box, and click GET ACCESS to proceed.
Create a Conversation API app: The next step is to create and configure a Conversation API app. Follow the instructions on the customer dashboard.
Click here to learn how to create an app.
You can also create an app programmatically using the API. Click here to learn how.
Configure channels: To send and receive messages, you need at least one channel configured on your app. Learn how to configure a channel.
- If you are using more than one channel, you can prioritize your channels, and Conversation API will send messages to the channels based on the priority you set.
- Some channels require channel-specific configurations. Read about the requirements for all the channels here.
- For SMS and other channels where a number is necessary, you need a Sinch number. If you don't already have a number, click here to learn how you can get a number from Sinch.
- You only need to perform these steps once for each app. Then, you're ready to start sending messages!
- When you sign up for a Sinch account, a default project is created for you. Conversation API uses this project to group contacts and apps together. Contacts are shared across apps within the same project. Depending on your needs, you may need to create additional projects to keep contact lists separate.
Now you're ready to get started sending messages with Conversation API. These guides will walk you through setting up a simple application in the following languages: